Open Air Gallery Ski & Snowshoe Trail
January 1 – March 31, 2024
Open Every Day from Dawn to Dusk*
Gear up for a one-of-a-kind outdoor art experience! Ski or snowshoe at your own pace, and on your own time, through winter-proof works by artists across Vermont. From the majestic to the comical, delight in diverse art pieces in a beautiful natural setting. In previous years, the Open Air Gallery traversed across the fields of HCA and neighboring Wilson Farm, offering various paths for all ages and abilities. Due to recent flooding damage as a result of climate change, approximately half a mile of the two-mile trail is not available for skiing.
Donations help us maintain the trail, bring in great artists, and keep it free for all. Thanks so much for the support!
You won’t get lost without it, but the map is great for identifying artworks and artists when you’re on the trail.
Having attracted thousands of visitors in its first years, The Winter Trail is back with the work of 14 artists nestled into a snowy rural landscape to be enjoyed while bundled up on skis or snowshoes. Not all art is made to withstand a Vermont winter and not all people want to add a workout to their cultural enjoyment but we think there is nothing better than getting outside, getting the heart rate up, and experiencing big art up close and, if you’re lucky, draped in a fresh layer of snow.
If you come on a weekend, stick around and enjoy a hot toddy and culinary treats while sitting fireside in a festive outdoor environment. And, any day of the week you can bring your skates and take a twirl around the Greensboro Community Skating Rink, located on HCA’s front lawn.
THANK YOU WILSON FARM for sharing your farmland for this trail and exhibit. Wilson Farm Market opens in May but you can find their culinary herbs, teas, elixirs, and salves all year round at wilsonherbfarm.com
*Services such as restrooms and the limited equipment library (located in the entryway) are available Wednesday through Sunday from Noon to 4 PM. The Café is open for outdoor dining on Saturday and Sunday from 11 AM to 3 PM.
Open Air Café
HCA’s Café will be open from 11 AM to 3 PM Saturdays and Sundays for delicious treats and warm drinks served outdoors. Relax by the warming fires, take in the beautiful winter landscape and enjoy refreshments in the open air.
Greensboro Community Skating Rink
In partnership with the Greensboro Recreation Committee, we have a skating rink here for your enjoyment! Open dawn to dusk every day until mid-March, as weather permits. Please call 802-533-2000 or check HCA’s Facebook page for updated rink conditions.
Some skates will be available in our equipment library which is open Wednesday through Sunday Noon to 4 PM or by chance.
The Open Air Gallery Art and Artists
Select an image to learn more about the artist and their art.
For everyone’s safety & enjoyment, we have implemented the following guidelines:
- This is an outdoor trail on snow. The trail may not always be groomed. Follow the artwork and the ski trail markers to stay on the trail.
- The trail is open from dawn to dusk.
- Please stay on the marked trail.
- Please wear skis or snowshoes on the trail.
- Only use the trail if you have no symptoms of COVID-19.
- Dogs are allowed on the trail, but must be leashed.
- No smoking on HCA or Wilson Farm property.
- Do not touch the artwork.
- Do not climb on the artwork.
- We encourage you to take photos but no commercial photography is allowed.
- Masks are encouraged, but optional indoors.
- Services such as restrooms and the limited equipment library (located in the entryway) are available Wednesday through Sunday from Noon to 4 PM or by chance. The Café is open Saturdays and Sundays from 11 AM – 3 PM.
- Skate, ski, and snowshoe at your own risk.
The Winter Trail in the News!
The Times Argus, ‘Where Are We Going?’: Art and Skis in Greensboro
Seven Days, Highland Center for the Arts Adorns a Snowy Trail With Sculpture in Greensboro
NBC, Outdoor Art Gallery on Vt. Ski and Snowshoe Trail